These last few months haven’t been the greatest for me. My mental health has reared its ugly head and completely crushed me. I’ve felt very anxious, panicky, drained and unwell. It’s also affected my reading and blogging, but that has picked up more recently.
So this month I want to change. I want to try to highlight certain things that are triggering me and where I might be going wrong in areas that I CAN control.
Putting myself in harm’s way
I’ve noticed some rather unhealthy behaviours in myself and these are things that definitely hurt me in my progress.
- Setting myself up to fail – I often want to achieve high before I’ve even started and end up setting myself a huge task that’s just unrealistic.
- Agreeing to too many responsibilities – I tend to grab any opportunity that comes my way, in terms of blogging, and end up very stressed and burnt out.
- Pushing myself into uncomfortable situations – I’ve read that pushing yourself into different situations is supposed to help your social anxiety, but for me this simply does not work and only makes me worse.
- Stressing about the little things – I worry too damn much about silly little things and it’s not good for my health.
- Trying to please everyone – I definitely strive to support people and whilst I love helping others, I neglect my own needs.
- Not eating properly – When I’m depressed and anxious I comfort eat and it’s really not good, not for my self-esteem or my waist.
Trying to fix this
Identifying what’s wrong in your life is never an easy task and sometimes it comes with a ton of denial and self-loathing. But these reactions are so toxic for our mental health and this is why I need to actively try to change!
- Slow and steady – I’m going to try to set myself smaller goals and not overwork myself to try and achieve more in such a short time, it never works and I end up failing.
- Just say no – I’ve already starting doing this, but I definitely need to continue to stay away from blog tours and such, until I’m truly ready and want more.
- Comfort is key – I really need to just step away from those uncomfortable situations and stop pushing myself. I will be ready one day to take that step, but it’s not today and that’s OK.
- Think about the bigger picture – I’ve always been a worry wart and it generally comes with the territory of being a mum. I need to stop for a second when I begin to worry, think clearly and logically and look at what the end result will be, don’t worry about those little things that really don’t help or matter.
- I can’t please everyone – Not everyone appreciates or deserves my attention and support and in the long run I end up neglecting my own emotional and physical needs. So I’m going to continue to support those who love me, but leave a bit leftover for myself.
- Keep a healthy diet – This is a tough one for me. Before I had depression and anxiety I was healthy inside and out. Now I look at myself and hate my body and I only hate myself more for being the cause of it. So my plan is to try to keep a balanced diet (with the odd treat of course) and exercise more, because honestly I feel so good afterwards!
This isn’t going to be an easy task, as old habits die hard! But if I think of them as individual little steps to tick off, I think (and hope) I will get somewhere 🙂
I apologise if this post didn’t pique your interest! I’m back to books next I promise, but I hope at least some of you can relate and will take some kind of motivation for yourself!
Love you all! Until next time! ❣